dr. S.A.E. (Sanne) Peters
dr. S.A.E. (Sanne) Peters
- Julius Center, dept. Epidemiology & Health Economics
Sanne Peters is an Associate Professor in Epidemiology and Global Health at the Julius Center for Health Sciences and Primary Care. She holds a joint appointment as Associate Professor at The George Institute for Global Health, University of New South Wales and as Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London.
She obtained her MSc in Epidemiology (with distinction) from Maastricht University in 2009. In 2012, she completed her PhD in Epidemiology at UMC Utrecht. From 2013 to 2020, she worked as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the University of Cambridge (2013-14) and the University of Oxford (2014-20).
Her research focuses on sex differences in cardiovascular diseases. Using large databases, she aims to reliably quantify where those differences exist and to identify the underlying genetic, biological, or behavioral factors. Another important part of her research aims at ensuring that sex and gender, as well as other aspects of diversity, are routinely considered and equally represented in research and innovation.
Dr. Peters’ research has been supported by several prestigious grants and fellowships, including a 1-year Niels Stensen Fellowship (2012), a 4-year strategic skills development fellowship from the UK Medical Research Council (2017) and 5-year Vidi fellowship from the Dutch Research Council (2021). She is a World Heart Federation Emerging Leader.
She is Speciality Chief Editor for 'Sex and Gender Differences in Disease' in the Frontiers in Global Women's Health journal and Associate Editor at BMJ Global Health. She is Nucleus Member of the Population Science and Public Health Section of the European Association of Preventive Cardiology. She also is a member of the UMCU-Young Academy.
- Specialty Chief Editor, Sex and Gender Differences in Disease, Frontiers in Global Women’s Health
- Nucleus Member, Population Science and Public Health Section, European Association of Preventive Cardiology
- Associate editor, BMJ Global Health
- Member of the UMCU-Young Academy
Fellowship and Awards
- Vidi, NWO Talent Programme, 'Sex differences in coronary heart disease: bias, biology, or both?' (2021)
- Strategic Skills Development Fellowship, Medical Research Council, 'Sex differences in the vascular consequences of diabetes: big data analyses to inform prevention and treatment' (2017)
- Niels Stensen Postdoctoral Fellowship, 'Cardiovascular disease in men and women: does money matter?' (2012)
- Fellow International Seminar on Cardiovascular Epidemiology and Prevention. International Society for Cardiovascular Epidemiology and Prevention (2020)
- Emerging Leader, World Heart Federation (2019)
- Achievement Award. Women’s Health Programme, George Institute for Global Health (2019)
- Award for Excellence. University of Oxford (2018)
- Elizabeth Young New Investigator Award. Organization for the Study of Sex Differences (2015)
Research Output (101)
van Kruijsdijk Rob C M, Vernooij Robin W M, Bots Michiel L, Peters Sanne A E, Dorresteijn Jannick A N, Visseren Frank L J, Blankestijn Peter J, Debray Thomas P A, Oct 2022, In: Clinical Kidney Journal. 15 , p. 1924-1931 8 p.
Porras Cindy P, Teraa Martin, Bots Michiel L, de Boer Annemarijn R, Peters Sanne A E, van Doorn Sander, Vernooij Robin W M 1 Jul 2022, In: Journal of Clinical medicine. 11 , p. 1-9
Dam Veerle, Onland-Moret N Charlotte, Burgess Stephen, Chirlaque Maria-Dolores, Peters Sanne A E, Schuit Ewoud, Tikk Kaja, Weiderpass Elisabete, Oliver-Williams Clare, Wood Angela M, Tjønneland Anne, Dahm Christina C, Overvad Kim, Boutron-Ruault Marie-Christine, Schulze Matthias B, Trichopoulou Antonia, Ferrari Pietro, Masala Giovanna, Krogh Vittorio, Tumino Rosario, Matullo Giuseppe, Panico Salvatore, Boer Jolanda M A, Verschuren W M Monique, Waaseth Marit, Sánchez Pérez Maria José, Amiano Pilar, Imaz Liher, Moreno-Iribas Conchi, Melander Olle, Harlid Sophia, Nordendahl Maria, Wennberg Patrik, Key Timothy J, Riboli Elio, Santiuste Carmen, Kaaks Rudolf, Katzke Verena, Langenberg Claudia, Wareham Nicholas J, Schunkert Heribert, Erdmann Jeanette, Willenborg Christina, Hengstenberg Christian, Kleber Marcus E, Delgado Graciela, März Winfried, Kanoni Stavroula, Dedoussis George, Deloukas Panos, Nikpay Majid, McPherson Ruth, Scholz Markus, Teren Andrej, Butterworth Adam S, van der Schouw Yvonne T 20 Mar 2022, In: The Journal of clinical endocrinology and metabolism. 107 , p. e2952-e2961 10 p.
Asogwa Ogechukwu Augustina, Boateng Daniel, Marzà-Florensa Anna, Peters Sanne, Levitt Naomi, van Olmen Josefien, Klipstein-Grobusch Kerstin 21 Jan 2022, In: BMJ Open. 12 , p. 1-16 39 p.
O'Keeffe Linda M, Bell Joshua A, O'Neill Kate N, Lee Matthew A, Woodward Mark, Peters Sanne A E, Smith George Davey, Kearney Patricia M Jan 2022, In: PLoS Medicine. 19 , p. 1-27
Hsu Benjumin, Carcel Cheryl, Wang Xia, Peters Sanne A E, Randall Deborah A, Havard Alys, Miller Matthew, Redfern Julie, Woodward Mark, Jorm Louisa R 24 Dec 2021, In: American Heart Journal. 248 , p. 175-176 2 p.
Holthuis Emily I., Visseren Frank L.J., Bots Michiel L., Peters Sanne A.E. 21 Dec 2021, In: Global Heart. 16 , p. 1-12
Carcel Cheryl, Harris Katie, Peters Sanne A E, Sandset Else Charlotte, Balicki Grace, Bushnell Cheryl D, Howard Virginia J, Reeves Mathew J, Anderson Craig S, Kelly Peter J, Woodward Mark 2 Nov 2021, In: Neurology. 97 , p. e1768-e1774
Hsu Benjumin, Carcel Cheryl, Wang Xia, Peters Sanne A E, Randall Deborah A, Havard Alys, Miller Matthew, Redfern Julie, Woodward Mark, Jorm Louisa R Nov 2021, In: American Heart Journal. 241 , p. 87-91 5 p.
Peters Sanne A E, Babor Thomas F, Norton Robyn N, Clayton Janine A, Ovseiko Pavel V, Tannenbaum Cara, Heidari Shirin Nov 2021, In: BMJ global health. 6