dr. J. (Judith) van de KampAssistant Professor
- Department of Epidemiology
- Department of Public Health, Healthcare Innovation & Evaluation and Medical Humanities (PHM)
Judith van de Kamp is a medical anthropologist and global health teaching fellow at the Julius Center for Health Sciences and Primary Care, University Medical Center Utrecht. She received her PhD at the University of Amsterdam. Her research focuses on the involvement of international health workers and health students who temporaily work in health settings in low- and middle-income countries. In Ghana, she explored the motivation, ideas and experiences of western health workers. In Cameroon, she focused on the relationships and power dynamics between short-term western health workers and Cameroonian health workers in a rural hospital. Her work touches upon Industrial White Savior Complex, privileges, public and hidden transcripts, colonial mentality, feelings of superiority, perspectives on responsible behavior and equality, (im)personal authority and hierarchy, different perceptions on the practice of medicine and the role of donations. Judith is passionate about sharing her research results with a variety of audiences, ranging from medical students to NGO workers, with the main goal of encouraging people to critically reflect upon their role in LMICs. She wrote a book about that for the Dutch general public ('De derde wereld op je cv', 2019). At the Julius Center, Judith is involved in teaching and developing global health education for various groups of students.
Fellowship and Awards
- Robbert Dijkgraaf Essay Award 2016 (New Scientis, Parool & Folia)
- Scholarship Dioraphte Foundation, 2015
- Scholarship Amsterdam University Fund, 2015
- Scholarship Prins Bernard Cultuurfonds, 2014
- Scholarship Foundation Catharine van Tussenbroek Fund, 2013
- Pieter van Foreest Science Award 2009 (VU Medical Center)
Research Output (4)
de Zeeuw Janine, van de Kamp Judith, Browne Joyce L 31 aug 2019, In: The Lancet. 394 , p. 731 1 p.
van de Kamp Judith 5 mrt 2019, 224 p.
van de Kamp Judith 31 okt 2017, 244 p.
van de Kamp Judith 2009, In: Medicine Anthropology Theory.